The Australian labour market is very competitive and it is highly recommended that you research employment opportunities before relocating.
Some occupations may have special requirements. This could include registration or licensing with a government authority and/or membership of a professional or industry association. You may also need to have your professional qualification and certificates assessed to work within your profession in Australia. The Australian Skills Recognition Information website can provide further information about your skills.
Where to Find Employment
Job Vacancy Websites
There are numerous job vacancy websites that offer job searches to assist you in finding a position in any chosen Australian state, city or town. Popular websites include;
Job Vacancies in Newspapers
Most major newspapers have employment sections and you can also access the newspapers online.
Private Recruitment Agencies
Recruitment agencies will assist in connecting employers and potential employees for a number of different positions. It is worthwhile registering with a number of agencies, particularly those who specialise in your industry.
Contacting companies that you want to work for directly or getting in touch with the professional associations that represent your occupation or industry to enquire about possible positions is another option for job searching.
How to Apply for a Position
Most job advertisements will have details on how to apply for the position and the contact person. Your application should include:
- a cover letter stating the position that you wish to apply for and why you should be considered for the position based on your skills, experience and qualifications
- a resume showing your personal details (name, address, phone numbers, email address etc), skills, previous jobs and experience, education and qualifications
- an additional copy of your resume
- copies of references from previous employers including details on how to contact them
- copies of educational and trade certificates relevant to the job